Sunday, July 1, 2012

A little hot here...

July 1, 2012
Dear Elder Alex,
Just because it's July, everything turns hot. We've had it pretty mild up to this point, but this last week we got close to 100. I realize you will have no sympathy for that especially since we have zero humidity, but it still feels blasted hot to me. It's a good thing we have neighbors who call and invite the girls swimming. It's wonderful.

So how was your week? I can't wait to hear how your new area is and what you get to do as an elder over the singles wards. I'm thinking you'll have some good stories from this new area. YSA wards are notorious for their fellowshipping, missionary work, etc.

Also I got to see Jon Kjar and Trent Anderson today. They both came to our ward. Trent's actually in our ward now. He looks like he dropped a few pounds and he looks a bit older. Jon was actually even a little harder to recognize. Either I didn't remember exactly what he looked like, or he changed a bit on his mission. But after I got to talking with both of them for a while, they became quite familiar. Trent even asked if I was going to make Frito salad for him. I think I'll invite him over one night.  :)    Also, I found out that Jon and Ryan McKell are also going to be living in the same apartment complex as you, so I'm going to call tomorrow and see if all five of you will be in the same ward, etc. I guess us moms shop for apartments in the same way...

Kristina is still away. She just finished up her week at EFY and said it was awesome and last night we talked about how much her testimony of Christ grew this past week. Now she is with Riley Billings and her family and they are on their way to a super small town in Utah called Fayette until this Friday. Hope they can find plenty to do each day.

Kirk is down to his last two weeks of school and a week from Thursday we will going to Canada for their reception=the reception before the wedding event. Sounds like up in Canada they have a program for their receptions, so I'm sure we'll have plenty to report from up there. But this week, we are super busy with last minute things for the reception here. We have to get things done before we take off because we only have two days in between the reception and when we leave for the wedding. I have a checklist that is now 3 pages. Lots of things are marked off, but there are still quite a few to go. People keep asking us why we are not waiting for you to get home for the wedding. Are you sure you're okay with them getting married before you get home? It's not too late to voice your opinion.

Sean is still working every day at the Blue and Orange store and loving the basement life. The girls tease him incessantly about dating, but to no avail. Hopefully, he'll get back on the dating horse when he moves back to Provo.

Nikki bought herself a new bike this week and it's so her. It's a cruiser from WalMart and she loves it and actually has been riding it every day. She looks mighty fine on it. Leah is jealous of it and wishes she had more in her account, but she doesn't have enough. She may do some extra chores to earn money.

Sean just came up and said he had a netflix tragedy. He and the girls went downstairs to watch Mr. Bean and Netflix has taken it off their lineup. Several other people complained online that their families were in mourning with this change. Sean told me to share that with you.  haha

We don't have any plans for the 4th this year, so I'm hoping we get an invite from some family. The Leifsons are out of town and Sean works until seven, so we're hoping for a miracle invite this week. What will you be doing?

We're having the missionaries over for dinner this Saturday. The Samoan elder has already made it known that he's out of Spam and needs some more. I don't know where they put it, but I have a much better understanding now because of the girls.  ;)

I have a big meeting Tuesday night that Pres. Stafford called for all the high council, the stake presidency and me. Since we are re-dedicating the Boise temple, I think we probably got some assignments and need to start working on things. I'm anxious to hear what the meeting is all about.

Dad is cramming in all his shifts into a couple weeks again since he's taking off a lot of time during the wedding, so he's busy with work this week. Tomorrow I'm getting the guys suits dry cleaned, making reservations for the dogs at a kennel while we're gone, typing a blessing, buying flowers for the backyard and planting them and making sure the photographer and the florist all get hold of the Luschers so we can make our final decisions about things and plan a family night. I've had so many friends help me out with names of people who either have things to borrow or have a business that could help us, etc. So many have also volunteered to help out, so I'm just trying to organize things so I know how many I need and where I need them. But it's so nice to know there are so many that are willing. I appreciate it so much otherwise I would feel overwhelmed.

I'll leave you with a thought from our RS lesson today. Sis. Guyman taught it (married to Dr. Guyman the orthodontist). It was about being of good cheer even amidst conflict. We got off subject a little in the middle and talked about how sometimes we try to get through adversity all by ourselves believing that the Lord has bigger issues to contend with and that we should be able to do it by ourselves, and one sister was commenting about her friend who was a member of another church and had invited her to a Bible study group. The sister had a chance to ask them why so much of the Christian world does not believe that we are Christian. One lady explained that it was because we in the church believe that we can save ourselves by how much work we do. They told her that they believe Christ's atonement will save them. Then we had a good conversation about how that's probably how so many see us, always working so hard as if we are trying to just save ourselves and forgetting to put our trust and faith in Christ. It was a good discussion that has stayed with me throughout the day. Something to ponder. I love RS lessons!

Welp, dad's falling asleep and I still want to get in some pillow talk so I better sign off. I hope you are well and remaining obedient and willing so the blessings of heaven cannot be withheld from you.

Love you,
Mom xxoo

No comments: