Sunday, July 29, 2012

Farewell, farewell, homecoming

July 29, 2012
Dear Elder Alex,
Well, another Sunday where we are the traveling family. We started out going to the 9th ward to hear Zach Crosgrove give his farewell and his aunt and uncle sang Come Thou Fount but used the words from Joseph Smith's First Prayer. You may have to do that sometime since the words go great with the song, then off to our ward to hear Megan Tanner give her farewell where her dad, aunt and uncle Ricky Tanner sang, then off to the Locsha Falls ward to hear Cameron give his homecoming. Cameron did a great job. He spoke a lot about becoming followers of Christ and used much of Peter's life for his examples. He bore his testimony in Spanish and his Spanish sounded very fast, probably the speed they use in Mexico City. His dad sang The Lord's Prayer for the musical number and it was beautiful.

Afterward the Warrs had us over for some lunch and it turned out to be our whole Sunday dinner. They had BBQ ribs, which Cameron had requested because he had been craving them, pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, potato salad, jello, chips, lots of cookies, etc. I couldn't believe how much food they had and it was all so tasty. It was fun talking with his parents and with Tim and Terri Westerberg. Terri and I are planning an open house for you and Austin that we'll have at our house after you both get back. Austin flies into Boise the same day as you only a couple hours earlier. You're both speaking on Sunday. Austin speaks at 9am in his old ward and you will be speaking in the old 6th ward at 1pm and in our ward at 3pm. Hope you don't mind so much speaking in one day. :)

We had a fun day. I guess Cameron came home last Saturday and I heard he walked off the plane in a sombrero with a guitar in his hand. Still the same old Cameron. Then last week on my birthday I wasn't really doing much because dad had to work, so that night we were just sitting around here and Cameron showed up at our door. Only Sean and Nikki were here because the other girls were at girls camp. So we sat out on the back deck with Cameron chatting about his mission til late at night. It was so great having him here. He said sometimes he can't believe that he ever served a mission now that he's back home, that it doesn't seem real. The night he came over was the first time he went out in a car by himself, venturing out, so to speak. He realized quickly that he had no friends around, but I'm so glad he decided to stop in at our house. The next night he came back over and we had a game night with dad home-some Wits and Wagers!

I got your post card this week too, so thank you for thinking of me. It was funny that you mentioned Karl Malone, because Sean did the same thing on his card to me. He also found out it's Michael Richards (Kramer) birthday so now my birthday is even more cool, not to mention it's also Jennifer Lopez's birthday too.

It was great hearing the news about Brandon's baptism. He sounds like he'll be a fantastic member and how fun that you'll be able to see he and his fiance in Provo. I'm hoping to hear from you that Kyle had his baptism too!

Kirk and Sarah are off for their honeymoon this week. They are going to Zion's first and then off to Vegas for a couple days. They'll be back here next Monday and will stay here until we get back from Nashville.

Kristina and Leah had a great time at girls camp this past week. Leah went on the South Fork rapids and only fell out once. Kristina went on the Main Payette.  Here are a couple of her photos:



I got your note about Pres. Stafford having the final say on your rules while you are with us, so I'll be getting his take on things this week. I've kind of been in denial that this will be your last week. You're probably handling it better than me. If you would please keep writing me weekly letters while you're at college, I'd really appreciate it. Cameron says he knows now that he may not be a full time missionary but that he's always a missionary now for the rest of his life.

I had a really nice talk with my friend Maria this week. I haven't seen her for a couple weeks and she pulled me aside and just had to tell me again how much it's meant to her and her family to be receiving the Liahona in her home. She says her husband reads it too and has had lots of questions. He loves everything about how important the family is, but he is trying very hard to cut back on drinking. Maria kind of gave him an ultimatum and explained how different his personality is when he drinks and how wonderful he is when he's not drinking, so he decided to only have a couple of drinks a week. She said he's really working on it. Maria also told me  how wonderful she feels whenever she reads the magazines and it makes her want to keep reading more and more. I told her it was the same feeling and spirit that she felt when she read the Book of Mormon and that she was learning through the spirit that these things were true. I also told her that maybe one day her husband would agree to have the missionaries come into their home again to teach them, that his heart seems to be softening already. She's very happy. She's also anxious to meet you too since I've told her all about you, well, not all about you, but a lot about you!

I hope this week is awesome and miraculous and wonderful and that you'll have many opportunities to share your testimony. I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father has been so pleased at how He's been able to use you as an instrument in His hands, something you can always look back on knowing that you were in the right place at the right time with the right people. I'm sure you know that now after these past two years with all the wonderful people who are a part of your life now. 

If there's anything you need us to bring to Nashville, let me know. We don't leave until a week from Tuesday. As always, my prayers and thoughts are always with you, with the people you are teaching, with your companion, with your mission president and his wife. Keep the commandments and travel always with charity in your heart because most ministering is done on a day other than Sunday.

Love you,
Mom xxoo
ps. did you get your renewed drivers license? 


No comments: